[rescue] SPARCserver power supply

Lex Landa brooknet at imap.cc
Fri Dec 24 10:28:18 CST 2010

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:07:56 -0500, "Michael Thompson"
<michael.99.thompson at gmail.com> said:

> Tantalum capacitors will blow for no apparent reason. I had the same
> thing happen a few months ago on a 3/460 that I powered on after it
> had been sitting for a few years. A tantalum on the CG3 board blew, I
> replaced the board, a tantalum on the replacement CG3 blew, I replaced
> the CG3 again and it works fine now.

So, I may not have permanently damaged my CG3?  Phew.  BTW, is there any
difference between 'cgthree' and 'CG3'?  I have seen both terms used and
don't know if they apply to the same card.

Replacing the capacitor looks like being difficult since it is
surrounded by a solid steel chassis and I have no disassembly
instructions or diagrams; my SPARCserver being a 'deskside' unit, it's
large and quite heavy (I dropped it on my toe once - oww).  I can see
the frazzled component through the chassis around the VME slots.

I'm wondering if the capacitor damage may have been done by the PSU's
-5V output briefly swinging positive.  I don't trust that PSU and am
going to replace it as soon as I can.

Happy festivities!

Lex