[rescue] OT - Optics / Laser rescue bits?

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 15:43:25 CST 2010

Those lasers are no joke.  Lasers are definitely not toys.  I have a
Coherent DPSS 532 laser that spits out 200mW of power, mostly at 532nm.
This is plenty to burn holes in plastic (slowly).  Reflections off of shiny
things will instantly blind you.  I bought a pair of laser goggles for about
$25 which block almost all of that 532nm radiation but don't do anything for
the 1064nm frequency content.  This is an incredibly dangerous situation for
people that don't know how they work and think it's fine to stare at the
little dim dot on the wall.   Dangerous, but I still love em.

-Bob