[rescue] fwd: [Suns-at-Home] S-bus, M-bus, RAM, odds and ends free to good home 08822 NJ US

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Aug 31 15:13:21 CDT 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:11:45 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> I still totally wish I had the resources to rescue an E10K.
E10ks are quite ordinary. They where build by several thousands.
It is just an other big Unix machine.

I wish to have the resources to rescue this:
http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/bilder/Zuse_Z23/

This is a Zuse Z23 computer from 1961. It is kind of a solid state
reimplementation of the Z22, an earlier tube based machine. They where
quite successfull, close to 100 Z23 where build, almost twice as much as
the contemporary DEC PDP-1. This particular machine is at display in
my city. It is in a save place, but it didn't run for at least 30
years. It would be fantastic to restore this machine back to working
condition. I had the pleasure to visit this machine and get a detailed
explanation from a former user of this machine.

The machine is currently hosted at the Fraunhofer Institute for
Experimental Software Engineering.
http://www.iese.fraunhofer.de/de/presse/current_releases/PM-2010-16-210610z23.jsp
If you can't read german (at all we talk about a german machine :-) )
here is the english version:
http://www.iese.fraunhofer.de/press/current_releases/PM-2010-16-210610z23.jsp

There is also a Z22 in somewhat working condition in the ZKM museum:
http://www.zkm.de/algorithmische-revolution/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=118
Pictures only in the german version:
http://www.zkm.de/algorithmische-revolution/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131
--