[rescue] Solaris 10 (Sparc) SCSI tape problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Aug 21 15:00:52 CDT 2010

On 08/21/10 15:43, stephen price wrote:
> Is this an "IBM" drive?
> I've always had to load the IBM tape drivers and bits
> for netbackup etc when I used Ultrium anything - like tape libaries etc.  In
> fact I'm doing that right now to a new netbackup master server (on redhat
> unfortuantely - $work moving away from the new taskmasters of solaris).
> regards

It is indeed, IBM Ultrium-TD2, which is a drive explicitly supported by
the Sun ST driver.  I have not had to use proprietary drivers for it
previously; it Just Works.

A thought that just occured to me a few minutes ago while looking at
st.conf:  By default, only targets 0-6 are enabled in st.conf, and
targets 8-14 are commented out.  My tape drive is target 8.  Is it at
all possible that for some broken reason, devfsadm is ALSO only looking
at targets 0-6?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.