[rescue] BIOS update for Sun Fire v40z?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:45:55 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Ellie Fant <ellie_fanti at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just bought a second hand v40z from ebay as I need to set up a
> VMWare
> server for a testing environment and the amount of performance for
> your money
> with these looks pretty good. So I received it today and booted it
> up and all
> seems to be fine except during boot up it issues the message "BIOS
> microcode
> patch for Opteron(tm)/Athlon(tm) processor erratum 131 not
> detected. It is
> highly recommended to upgrade the BIOS". Its currently got
> the BIOS version
> v2.35.3.2 but I see that the latest version is v2.35.5.1.
> Does anybody know if
> this will fix the above errata? The other slightly
> annoying problem is that
> Oracle seems to want me to buy a premium support
> license in order to download
> the BIOS but thats not really an option. I have
> seen from here that a few other
> people have mentioned this problem with
> Oracle deciding to charge for the BIOS
> that Sun used to give away for free.
> Does anybody know where I can get hold of
> the latest BIOS without having to
> pay lots of money for a support contract I
> don't want/need?
>
> Thanks in
> advance for all your help,
>
> Ellie

You do realize that you asked people to steal this software and give the
stolen goods to you, don't you?

If the new owner, Oracle, wants to now charge for software that the old
owner, Sun,  previously gave away, they have the perfect right to do so.
 However regrettable you find Oracle's action, it is still unethical to ask
people to steal for you.  To compound your solicitation, you have asked in a
public forum and everyone, even Oracle, now knows of your intent to steal
their product.  Even the retention of this formerly free software, on an ftp
site for example, probably violates Oracle's licensing.

I can sympathize (and even empathize) with you but, please, don't ask list
members to take unethical actions on your, or anyone's behalf.