[rescue] FFS to a good home

James Birdsall jwb-tech at picarefy.com
Sun Aug 15 01:21:51 CDT 2010

The following are in my garage and need to be somewhere else, for the
price of shipping from 98087.

Somebody was talking about IBM's serial disk (SSA) stuff recently. I
have three 7133 chassis, several boxes of 4G drives in sleds, cables,
and a variety of Microchannel controllers. Everything but the chassis
are shippable fairly easily. It was sold to me as working, but that was
ten years and several moves ago. I have no idea what shape they're in
now -- except that the foam on the chassis is sorta decaying -- and no
way to check. As sweet as big disk arrays are, I can't justify the heat,
power, and noise for seventy-two gigs of space.

AT&T 3B1 in the wedge chassis, with keyboard and mouse, 3.5 megs of
memory, 40(?) meg hard drive, and the rare ethernet card. Last known
working, and I can check. I'll need to reset the root password, at any rate.

Sun 386i. It passed self-test many years ago, I can check. It has the
keyboard/mouse/framebuffer card but I don't have a cable for it, so I
can't check that part. I also have a set of SunOS 4.0.1 floppies for it,
condition iffy.

Five Sun 3/50's in various chassis. One of them has an expansion
daughterboard which brings the memory up to 8M. These are easy to check.

Local pickup ONLY: Alphaserver 2000 4/275. No disks, but I think it has
a couple sleds. Linux supported this at one time, although these days
Alpha Linux seems to have gone by the wayside. I don't think any of the
BSDs ever supported it. You could load NT4 on it and play solitaire, I
suppose...

Not specifically in my garage, but possibly of interest to this group:
Journal of Irreproducable Results v35n6 (Nov/Dec 90) through v39n1
(Jan/Feb 94),
Annals of Improbable Research v1n1 (Jan/Feb 95) through v5n6 (Nov/Dec
99) (but missing v3n6 for some reason), and AIR (Jan/Feb 02 through
Nov/Dec 02).