[rescue] CD-RW/DVD-R on Ultra 10's?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Fri Oct 30 09:54:43 CDT 2009

James Hartley wrote ...

> I recently replaced the CD drive on an Ultra 10 with a
> Plextor CD-RW/DVD-R drive, & reading data on CD-R discs
> created elsewhere has consistently been fine.  However, now
> I'm wanting to burn CD-R discs on the Ultra 10 itself.
> My first experiment didn't work with the software being
> unable to write the ISO to the disc.
>
> So, the culprit is either the software or hardware.  Have
> others had any problems with putting more modern optical
> devices on  equipment of similiar age?

I used all sorts of SCSI CD/DVD drives on my Sun and SGI gear, largely
without dificulty.  Not every machine would boot from every drive, and my
experiments with a Nakamichi CD-changer were a failure, but, generally all
went OK.  My experience with Plextors is universally positive.

What software are you trying to use?  cdrecord (and progeny) has extensive
tools and doco for troubleshooting, probably because it dates from an era
when CD-anything was a lot less standardized than it is now.

On the other hand, if you're using IDE, I know nothing.

-Shel

-Shel