[rescue] CD-RW/DVD-R on Ultra 10's?

James Hartley jjhartley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:30:15 CDT 2009

As I understand the folklore, the Ultra 5's & 10's were Sun's first foray
into the PCI & IDE world, & the implementations had their issues.

I recently replaced the CD drive on an Ultra 10 with a Plextor CD-RW/DVD-R
drive, & reading data on CD-R discs created elsewhere has consistently been
fine.  However, now I'm wanting to burn CD-R discs on the Ultra 10 itself.
My first experiment didn't work with the software being unable to write the
ISO to the disc.

So, the culprit is either the software or hardware.  Have others had any
problems with putting more modern optical devices on  equipment of similiar
age?

Thanks!