[rescue] off topic - red hat linux book

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:25:04 CDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:04 PM, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> Lionel Peterson writes ...
>
>> At $WORK (public K-12 school district) we manage about 1,500
>> educational and administrative workstations with 8 people
>> [snip]
>> We have NO "spare cycles" to learn/integrate an opensource
>> tool and "make it work" in our environment (we don't have any
>> interns or Graduate Assistants to pad the staff) ...
>
> Do what my son's old school district did ... grab a couple of the
> brighter,
> more resonsible, more computer-oriented students and give 'em a job
> and a
> reason to come to school every day.  It worked brilliantly with my
> kid.

Our district has a couple 'interns' from the high school population,
and they do fine work, but they are so sporadic in their hours you
can't rely on them for anything serious.

Also, they are not self-managing, it would distract from the building
tech to 'manage' them. It may give the building tech at the high
school a bit more breathing room, but once they get a car/girlfriend
they stop working... In Boy Scouts we refer to them as 'the
fumes' (either gas fumes or perfume)...

Lionel