[rescue] gig nic for pci

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 12:48:03 CDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM, stephen price <sd_price at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a sun blade 100 I'd like to get on gig ethernet - does anybody have any
> third party card recommendations or should I go to e$pay and get a gigaswift pci card?

I think Intel cards are down to about $30 on eBay now, and they should
be well supported.

There are some cheaper cards available (seach the geeks or rescue
lists, I've highlighted a few with links to drivers IIRC), but with
Intel so cheap, I'd be hard-pressed to use something else (unless
money is super-tight).

Here's three PCI cards for $27.99 + 9.95 S/H - seller has eight sets
of three available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-of-3-Intel-Pro-1000-GT-Desktop-Gigabit-Adapter_W0QQitemZ320416399971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9a4e4263

If you can use a PCI-X card (either directly through PCI-X slot or in
a PCI slot with ins hanging over), they are available for $15 & up on
eBay.

If you search "intel pci gigabit PCI" there are a lot of pieces that
should be good (including cheap dual and quad-port devices)...

Realtek are hit-and-miss, but can "work" with third-party drivers.

My advice is Intel.

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com