[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 83, Issue 18

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Oct 21 14:34:43 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> IMHO, if you don't know how to use the command line, you shouldn't be
> trying to admin ....  well, pretty much any platform but Windows or Mac,
> really.  (Mac perhaps more so than Windows.  In Windows there has at
> least always *been* a legacy CLI, even if it's been a crappy one and you
> could only do a limited set of tasks with it.  On classic MacOS, if you
> couldn't do it through the GUI, you COULDN'T DO IT, period.  I'm unclear
> to what extent this has changed with OSX.)

Believe it or not, windows is moving a lot of things toward command line
as well.  When Exchange 2007 was released, there were a number of things
that could only be done in powershell, particularly with public
folders.  They added better GUI tools with a service pack after
receiving a lot of complaints.  If you're a windows admin that intends
to still be a windows admin in a few years, you better start learning
powershell.  Maybe not as much for small environments with only a
handful of servers, but definitely for managing larger numbers of servers.

    -Dan Sikorski