[rescue] Adminning and the CLI (was: rescue Digest, Vol 83, Issue 18)

Joost van de Griek gyorpb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:54:12 CDT 2009

2009/10/21 Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>:

> IMHO, if you don't know how to use the command line, you shouldn't be
> trying to admin ....  well, pretty much any platform but Windows or Mac,
> really.  (Mac perhaps more so than Windows.  In Windows there has at
> least always *been* a legacy CLI, even if it's been a crappy one and you
> could only do a limited set of tasks with it.  On classic MacOS, if you
> couldn't do it through the GUI, you COULDN'T DO IT, period.  I'm unclear
> to what extent this has changed with OSX.)

For a bit, it had turned the other way around: you can do things in
the CLI in OS X that you can't (or couldn't) in the GUI. Haven't
played with OS X Server since Tiger, but I must say I'm impressed with
Apple's server admin tools. There's very little that can't be done
through a GUI, and a good one, too.

.tsooJ