[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 83, Issue 18

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Oct 21 11:44:04 CDT 2009

Chris Brandstetter wrote:
> I have been a Linux Net admin for 8+ years, and using it for 13 years.
> I started and used Red Hat until 6.2 at which time I tried SuSE etc...
> I ended up with Debian as the best choice I have found for servers.
> There are some "Why the h e double hockey stick is this here?" but over
> all for patching, maintenance, size, and most important stability it
> seems the easiest, as long as you don't mind getting your hands into the
> command line.

IMHO, if you don't know how to use the command line, you shouldn't be
trying to admin ....  well, pretty much any platform but Windows or Mac,
really.  (Mac perhaps more so than Windows.  In Windows there has at
least always *been* a legacy CLI, even if it's been a crappy one and you
could only do a limited set of tasks with it.  On classic MacOS, if you
couldn't do it through the GUI, you COULDN'T DO IT, period.  I'm unclear
to what extent this has changed with OSX.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.