[rescue] off topic - red hat linux book

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Oct 20 17:36:23 CDT 2009

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:05:27PM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
>> Actually, then again, I did write that giant Expect script to patch IRIX!
>
> "Expect pain and suffering."

Ahhh, "pain and suffering" would also describe out experiences with
RedHat. The hardware is nowhere near as well-behaved as SPARC boxes,
meaningful documentation on kernel TCP parameters has been really hard
to find, and the config files appear to be designed to be convoluted and
confusing, not to mention some other problems like arp flux that we have
found. When I call support, they are helpful, but I have the feeling
that they are learning along with me.

Of all the  operating systems we admin, RedHat is taking up a *much*
larger percentage than HP, Solaris, AIX and even (ewwww) SCO.

I love Linux and have been using Slackware as a desktop and server for
15+ years, but for some things I really prefer Solaris, and when I use
Linux, RedHat is not my first choice.

Steve