[rescue] U20 motherboard upgrade ?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Oct 19 10:03:04 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:43:16AM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:

>While there is some debate about how TDP (Thermal Design Power) should be
>measured and some differences in how it is measured and reported by AMD
>and Intel, in general both AMD and Intel CPUs have not exceeded 130W TDP
>on the top end for years, 95W in the mainstream segment, and 65W for entry
>level desktop and energy efficient servers.

If I had a power budget of 130W for the CPU, I could do 16 ATOM 330 dual
core CPUs. I wonder what kind of real estate (and cooling) I'd need for
them, and if anything could keep them busy without spending most of its time
just keeping track of what it was doing?

On the other hand a desktop 32 core (even if they were only 2gHz each) system
would be impressive, considering it comes from COTS technology.

Geoff.