[rescue] Wanted: Old Sun Hardware

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Wed Oct 14 09:46:38 CDT 2009

gsm at mendelson.com writes:

>On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:01:34AM -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>>Since UltraSPARC-V never came out, Sun's SPARC line never had out-of-
>>order execution.

>Didn't the CDC 6600 (late 1960's) have it? I used a 6400 circa 1971, but that
>was the "poor man's" single threaded machine.

That, and for micros: first-generation POWER.

Soon enough, we'll be able to use "has a clean architecture" to
mean "old".

For Sun, my cutoff is around 1995 now, for "useful" versus "collection",
although there are a few earlier exceptions. (I have no retirement
plans for my SS5's.) I really like sbus, so I'm going to have to be
dragged kicking and screaming past 1999.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------------- Young-goon! The vending machine says hi! ----------------