[rescue] Any recommendations on rack-mount UPS?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Oct 12 14:00:57 CDT 2009

On Monday 12 October 2009, Robert Darlington wrote:
> Consider Liebert.  In my circle, APC sells junk.  No matter what, if
>  you care about it, I'd go with AGM batteries in the very least.
>  You'll wish you did when the day comes and you need to get the old
>  gel cells out, but you can't because they swelled up and are
>  permanently locked inside the equipment.

The swollen battery problem seems to be caused by the UPS overcharging
the batteries.  The beige APC units seem to be bad about this, but I
haven't seen it happen with the newer black units yet.

I second Liebert, and add Powerware/Eaton.  They both seem to have nice
rackmount units.  The only problem I have with the Liebert units that we
had at work were that replacing the batteries wasn't trivial - you had
to take the unit 1/2 apart to do it, which involves removing a couple
dozen screws, and reaching around live battery parts (a 96VDC battery
string) to disconnect the batteries.  Other units probably aren't quite
as bad.

Pat