[rescue] Any recommendations on rack-mount UPS?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:23:03 CDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Robert Darlington
<rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider Liebert.  In my circle, APC sells junk.  No matter what, if
> you
> care about it, I'd go with AGM batteries in the very least.  You'll
> wish you
> did when the day comes and you need to get the old gel cells out,
> but you
> can't because they swelled up and are permanently locked inside the
> equipment.

I've seen that behavior in a Symmetra from APC, but our unit is old
enough to have ZERO trade-in value. The battery trays swelled so much
that we had to dis-Assemble the UPS to get them out, but I didn't
consider that when making my recommendation because the OPs needs were
an order of magnitude lower.

APC rackmount-class UPSes have a great track record, in my experience.
My only other experience was with wet cells in telco switching centers.

I'd agree with Liebert for a datacenter-level need.

Lionel