[rescue] Any recommendations on rack-mount UPS?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Oct 12 12:52:33 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Robert Darlington wrote:
>
>> Consider Liebert.  In my circle, APC sells junk.  No matter what, if you
>> care about it, I'd go with AGM batteries in the very least.  You'll wish you
>> did when the day comes and you need to get the old gel cells out, but you
>> can't because they swelled up and are permanently locked inside the
>> equipment.
>>

> I've only ever once had that happen on an APC UPS.  APC sent us a brand
> new UPS with batteries and a prepaid shipping ticket to ship the old one
> back to them for failure analysis, because "That should never happen.
> We want to know what went wrong."

My Liebert UPSs (two PowerSure Interactive 1000's) have never done that,
but I have had several APC's that have.  I have noticed, however, that
my Lieberts shut themselves down and refuse to power on when their
batteries are at the end of their useful life, but the APC's keep going
and light up the bad battery indicator.  I haven't decided which
behavior I like less.

    -Dan Sikorski