[rescue] WANTED: Older IDE/ATA/PATA 500gb drives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 07:07:01 CDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 7:15 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2009, at 21:00, stephen price wrote:
> [...]
>> {Fry's} is running sata 500gb for $59 locally today - I'd given
>> thought of
>> slapping a sata-to-ide converter on a few - but even then 8 x 60 is
>> outsid e
>> the cost constraints of the project I want to do.
>
> Hah, I'd love to find them that cheap retail.
>
> Both Queensway Computer Markets and the Tottenham Court Road shops
> seem to think it's still 2006 when it comes to hard disk pricing. I
> was quoted #55 (about $80) for a bog standard 80GB 3.5" SATA disk in
> one place. You could probably hear me laughing in their face from the
> other side of the Atlantic.

There is great compression in HD prices here in US as well.

At $work we needed about a dozen SATA drives for desktops. A 40 gig
drive is not an option, 80 gig is about $60-70, and 1TB drives are $100.

We decided to order 16 1TB drives to upgrade a backip storage box and
re-use 300 Gig HDs that are being replaced in desktops. Complete
overkill, but a very cost-effective way to solve two problems at once.

Lionel