[rescue] Any recommendations on rack-mount UPS?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 09:20:31 CDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
> It seems $dayjob needs one or two, somewhere in the 2u to 4u
> range, for 2-4 low-end servers.  Remote control is spiffy but
> not necessary; mostly I'm looking for something that gets the
> basics right before worrying about nice-to-have features.  So...
> I figured I'd poll the collective wisdom.

At work we've had good luck with the various APC SmartUPS units, they
have 2U (I guess) 2200 units that should keep a couple servers humming
along through brief power outages (but may require 20 Amp circuits).

New units are around $1K:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101134&nm_mc=OTC-Fro
ogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-UPS+(Back+Up+Power+Supply)-_-APC-_-42101134

But if you can stomach refurbs, here is but one example, older 3U
SmartUPS 2200 with new batteries for $329:

http://shop.1asecure.com/prod.cfm?ProdID=305425&StID=8432

Add-in management cards are available, and can be added later. The
newer units have USB & serial, and honestly I think if you attach one
server to the UPS, it can communicate to other machines on the UPS
over the network (this is a function of PowerChute software, IIRC)....

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com