[rescue] WANTED: Older IDE/ATA/PATA 500gb drives

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 08:53:15 CDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2009, at 4:00 PM, stephen price <sd_price at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> Color me amused that 500GB drives are considered "old"  :)
>>
>> It's funny I know !!
>> I can't even buy them locally anymore.
>> I've been looking at the local swap meet - craigslist etc - they seem to
>> have
>> vanished.
>>
>> {Fry's} is running sata 500gb for $59 locally today - I'd given thought of
>> slapping a sata-to-ide converter on a few - but even then 8 x 60 is outsid
>> the cost constraints of the project I want to do.
>
> Microcenter.com has 400 Gig IDE drives for $59 in this month's flier...

Following up on my previous note, the eBay seller I mentione was wrong
- it is "txcesssurplus"

80 Gig IDE drives (tested system pulls) are $20

40 Gig IDE (tested system pulls) are about $12.99

These should be fine if you are trying to squeeze another year or so
out of older hardware, obvious caveats for more aggressive uses...

Here's a short link to their HD listing: http://bit.ly/2a5fa2

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com