[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Nov 25 13:54:33 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:46:25PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> All good points, modern Intel/AMD hardware is outstanding value for
> price/performance and I'm surprised that no mention was made that an
> Atom-class machine can knock the socks off a ~3KW Sun server in terms
> of power consumption costs! Still, we do rescue these things, don't we
> all?

The other thing that I have been wondering following all of this, is are
the programs he plans to run multithreaded? Video compression is not
AFAIK something that can be done in parallel, so if you figure one cpu for
video and one cpu for audio and the operating system, what do you do with
the rest of them?

I understand that if you have 24 cpus, you can do more than one, maybe
as many as 20 or so different files at once, but when do you run out
of I/O or disk head/RAM contention gets in the way?

Geoff.