[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

blue blue at aquarat.za.net
Wed Nov 25 04:31:42 CST 2009

Herro

I've managed to pick up a Sun Fire V890 server, on which I have installed
Solaris 10. This machine would be really useful to me if it had some sort of
Linux on it... something I can compile FFMPEG on, or run Blender on.

The machine has 8 dual core UltraSparc IV+ processors in it (16 cores in
total), with 32GBs of RAM and 6x FC-AL 146GB 10krpm drives.

So far I've tried Aurora Linux (ported version of Redhat), Debian (2, 3, 4,
5), FreeBSD 7.2, openBSD 4.6, Ubuntu (6.06, 8.10, 9.10) and Gentoo... all of
them fail for some or other reason. The closest I've gotten to a working
installation so far has been openBSD; it's setup ran without error, but the
new installation kernel panicked on reboot :( .

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks :)

Aaron