[rescue] Want a solaris box with F77 on it.

George Wyche gw at citasystems.com
Fri Nov 20 09:11:59 CST 2009

@et. al.
I know you all are willing to solve my "real problem", if I would just
tell you what it really is. No... I am looking for the quick fix here to
tide me (us) over until the port is a reality. I cannot justify anything
which will demonstrably pull man-hours off of the porting task. Any
deviation from what I asked for (f77 that compiles and produces an
executable) will consume man-days to perfect.

You will just have to believe me when I say the original programmers for
this program looked under the hood of f77 and married the code to f77. I
am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. (It wasn't ME!)

Sun quit f77 a long time ago and you cannot get THAT from them. The only
f77 we ever used had a license with it and that license precluded its
operation outside the agreement. A couple years ago (or so) Sun said
they could "transfer" the license to another hardware setup, but were
not specific.

So 1) a f77 compiler (and libraries) is necessary.
    2) a solaris box it will run on (any I would assume). I have access
to a couple differnt kinds: SunBlade 1000, SunBlade100
    3) an OS the will support the f77 and actually compile (license may
very well be required even if nobody cares). We still have a number of
OS8 boxes functioning quite nicely (except for CDT->CST changes) that
should not be disturbed except upon hardware failure; one OS9, and one OS10.

You might say, heck, beg a copy of f77 and libraries, put it on your
latest OS10 solaris SPARC and have at it! I would feel obliged to get an
OK from Sun in hand. And, you see, that takes time and effort toward
something that might not work out.

**IF** what I asked for exists and someone was willing to part with it,
then I am 100% sure it is viable immediately. Hence my request.

ggw