[rescue] DEC KA730

saquinn624 saquinn624 at aol.com
Wed Nov 18 18:34:10 CST 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 8:23:39 PM, Carl Friend wrote:

> They they would have only one operating system instead of two
> to support, and no royalties to pay AT&T.

Ultrix was -- is -- a BSD derivative. I don't believe that DEC
would havd had to pay royalties to AT&T.
Until the Berkeley Networking releases you still needed an AT&T
license to run UNIX.

Ultrix ran on DECstation and older VAX hardware, and can be run on the
VAX emulators and GXEmul (MIPS machine emulator).

OSF/1/Digital UNIX/Tru64 was the Alpha release, derived from the
DEC/IBM/HP/everyone else answer to the Sun-AT&T Vr4 partnership
Somewhat mixed up - BSD userland, SysV-ish internals all bolted on a
Mach-based kernel. I'm not sure if OSF/1 required an AT&T license. I
would imagine so, especially since none of it was released FOSS
(although OSF wasn't (and still isn't completely) pro-FOSS). The
really interesting bit is that Tru64 is as far as I can tell the last
UNIX to use ECOFF binaries - it never went ELF.