[rescue] Electronics Recycling Day

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:53:34 CST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 2:20 PM, John Floren <slawmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I had 3 PIII desktops to toss out... somehow, when I actually
> *need* a machine (Plan 9 server), I don't have any :(

I find it hard to believe can't source P3 desktops for less than S/H...

The problem with P3s are they typically have such small memory
capacity (compared with more recent systems)...

I can put 8 gigs of RAM in a low-end server for about $100, it can
cost $40 to put 512 Meg of PC133 RAM in a P3 box. That same $40 can
put 4 Gigs in a DDR2 desktop.

I just scored a very nice Dell SC1425 server, dual 3.4 HT Xeon Procs
with 4x 2 Gig DIMMs and dual 73 Gig SCSI drives on an Adaptec 39320
'hostRAID'
Controller W/ rails for under $300. Shipped.

Not an amazing deal, but a heck of a box for not that much money... I
just wish it supported harware-assisted virtualization :^(

Lionel