[rescue] Can a drive from an EMC be used an a SunBlade

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Nov 13 19:44:03 CST 2009

Andrew Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:52:49PM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
>> As a word of warning.... beware FC drives that say '12V only' (as does the
>> one I have).  Not sure if the V at the end of the Seagate # indicates
>> the 12V
>> only, or not... so I can't say all ST3146807FCV will not work in Sun... but
>> the story on these is that EMC had the drive 'reworked' to run 12V only
>> instead of the usual 5/12V.  It has a big '12V Only' on it.
>>
>> From my internet searches... (number one search response is sites selling
>> these), they would appear to work in nothing other than the system they
>> were intended to go in.
>>

> Is there any reason you couldn't simply sever the 5v line? does it require a proprietary power connector?

Well, FC drives are similar to SCA SCSI Drives.... all functions on one
connector, and
the drive is intended to go into a backplane.  So, any modification of
the system would
involve an alteration of the FC backplane in my SunBlade 2000... which
is not something
I'd want to do.... then there is the issue of is the 5V to be left
unconnected, or is 12V to
be send on the pins where 5V normally would be ?

It may not even be the '12V only' 'feature' of the drive causing my
problem... the drive
did spin up.... so it could be a defective drive or something else
unique to these EMC
drives ?????  The only thing I found online was on an SGI forum (IIRC)
and they pointed
to the 12V only being the issue.

-- Curt

-- Curt