[rescue] PGX32 in an Ultra 45?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 15 14:03:57 CDT 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Jonathan Sturges wrote:

> I have an Ultra 45 who's graphics card was scavenged, but now needs
> graphics again, so I'm digging around in the parts bin.  Any reason why
> a PGX32 video card wouldn't work in an Ultra 45 running Solaris 10?

To my knowledge, that's unsupported, but it ought to work just fine.

> The PGX32 driver packages are installed, I noticed.  I guess my concern
> was that there might be some incompatibility with OBP that would prevent
> the PGX32 from working until the OS had booted.  Anyone tried this with
> success?

You won't break anything by trying.  OBP doesn't really have much in the
way of device-specific graphics support; it treats everything like a slow
dumb framebuffer.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken