[rescue] SunOS 3 on LX/Classic

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon May 11 14:22:35 CDT 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 10:49:41 -0700
Laurence Brevard <brevard at 1or0.com> wrote:

> And for those who mentioned it, running 4.x BSD - from which SunOS 3
> is derived - on some other equipment is also part of this project -
> about which I can't really say much else at this time. :-/
Some years ago at the Vintage Computing Vestival Europa I run:
MicroVAX III with 4.3BSD-Tahoe
MicroVAX 3600 with 4.3BSD-Reno
HP9000-433T with 4.4BSD-Lite2
I was not able to optain a SPARC version of 4.xBSD, even not from Kirk
himself.

Bootsraping 4.3BSD-Tahoe was easy with the help of 4.3BSD-Quasijarus.
I created the install tapes from a net-booted NetBSD. IIRC I used Quasijarus
also to get 4.3BSD-Reno instaled.

Getting 4.4BSD on the HP was tricky. I used NetBSD for bootstraping.
But the file system created by NetBSD is slightly incompatible with
4.4BSD. 4.4BSD mangled its system disk, prepared with NetBSD. So I
prepared a temporary 4.4BSD system disk with NetBSD and bootet it to
create the final 4.4BSD system disk from 4.4BSD itself.

Get Kirks CSRG archive CDs and have a look at the TUHS / PUPS archive.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen