[rescue] Replacing Power Supply Fan on Catalyst 5000/5500?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Jun 28 09:07:51 CDT 2009

Zach Lowry wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I know that there are several other Catalyst 5000 users on here, so I
> thought I'd ask this question. I have a C5500 with two power supplies,
> both of which are functional but have dead fans in the front. I
> currently have a small fan pointed into one of the power supplies to
> keep it running, but that's another matter (I have another supply on
> order already). What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to open
> the supply up and replace the fans with a standard PC fan? Has anyone
> on here tried this? Any tips / pointers?

I have done this.  It was fairly easy.  The fan is a standard size, and
it had a standard connector to the board in the power supply.  Of
course, you want to be careful around the inside of a power supply, but
I think everyone on this list knows that.  In fact, one of the power
supplies in mine has a noisy fan.  I should look for the replacement as
well.

    -Dan Sikorski