[rescue] SS 10 question and Ultra 10 question

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Jul 30 16:04:15 CDT 2009

> nate at portents.com wrote:
>> That limit wasn't an OS limit at all - it's a limit of the built-in
>> driver
>> for the IDE controller in certain Macs like the Wallstreet PowerBook,
>> platinum G3, and some early iMacs.
>
> I thought it was *all* PPC Macs running OS9-or-less...?

Nope, not an issue with anything but the IDE controller/firmware in those
few systems.

The 8GB limit isn't present for the on-board SCSI in the platinum G3,
wasn't present in the on-board SCSI of previous PowerPC Macs, and wasn't
present in later PowerPC Macs either (the first revision of B&W G3 had
completely different issue regarding IDE UDMA support).  And 48-bit LBA
became a standard feature of the on-board IDE in the 2002 "Quicksilver" G4
and all later models.

- Nate