[rescue] SS 10 question and Ultra 10 question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jul 30 13:34:25 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:21:49PM -0400, Earl Baugh wrote:

> 3) On the Ultra 10, if I put in a drive larger than 128G, will it "work" at
> all? (i.e. yes, but only use 128G?)
> The CF solution I already utilize for my firewall (it's worked great for
> many years now...) so that's an idea for the boot.
> What's the minimum size for a CF drive that would fit basic Solaris Install?

I think in theory you could do it with 4 gigs, but I'd much rather 8
gigs.

> 6) Any suggestions on SAS, SCSI, or even better IDE controller that would
> work in the Ultra10?
> I'm looking for cheap, and easy to add a large disk.   SCSI I'd think would
> be the most expensive here..
> USB I guess is an option (though I'd need pointers for the "right" USB
> Card...)

Appropriate LSI SCSI cards used to be cheap when I last looked for and
bought one.  I may even have one to spare if you are interested.  This
is actually your cheapest option.

Here is a reasonable card on ebay for $25.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400040305039

Add to that a 18 or 36 gig SCSI disk for about the same amount of money,
and you will be reasonably set for a well outfitted play machine.

> 7) Also, any pointers of Creator, etc Video card would be appreciated.

My two suggestions are to:
A) post a message with a subject of Wanted: Creator for U10.
B) look on ebay.

Must it be a creator, or would a PCI card work for you?  Expert and
Elite cards are pretty cheap, as are XVR-100s.  Any which way, I don't
have any that I am currently willing to part with.