[rescue] SS 10 question and Ultra 10 question

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jul 30 10:37:02 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:13:29AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>Would an SE/30 *format* a 100GB disk before some component in the
>machine died from old age?  And would a MacOS version that will run on
>an SE/30 recognize a disk that big anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

There were some caveats:

1. The 2 terabyte limit appeared sometime after System 7. I think it was in
    middle of System 7.5, so you might need a bootable 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 disk
    to install it.

2. The first partition on the disk may have to be less than 8,000 megabytes
    (not 8192) but I am not sure, in order to boot from it.

Apple's disk format program needs to be hacked unless you can find a drive
with Apple ROMs in it. SilverLining which works with anything, would be
better anyway.

I don't have either a 100g SCSI drive nor an SE30 to play with, but I have
put disks up to 9g on an 800k SE.

When I refurbed the above SE, I put an age appropriate 50m drive in it,
and left the larger drives as externals.

Geoff.