[rescue] SS 10 question and Ultra 10 question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:30:36 CDT 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:43:35AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> The limitation is on the on-board controller, once you use another
>> controller you avoid that limitation. You could go SCSI with a 300
>> Gig
>> drive, but the cost would be prohibitive, IMHO. You can't boot off
>> a SATA
>> controller, the OPENBOOT can't boot from it.
>
> If he plans to stick with Solaris, I don't believe there is any SATA
> card he can use in the computer that will work.

Ignoring cost, there must be a card, either SAS or SATA, that works on
UltraSPARC - what controller chips are in the UltraSPARC servers that
use SATA/SAS drives?

> This is one of my major peeves with Solaris.  Why can't they make the
> SATA drivers from the AMD64 version work on SPARC?  Why hasn't some
> hacker done this?

The interest in such a project is, at best, minimal outside a few
pockets of SPARC fans... The performance of SATA and x86 multi-core,
multi-GHz CPUs trounce most "classic" SPARC boxes... IMHO, YMMV...

Didn't someone here have SATA on a U30 for storage, not as bootable
media? I think I read that a couple years ago..

Lionel