[rescue] uVAX II funtimes

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jul 29 12:10:41 CDT 2009

>> For now, instead of tackling a pile of 25 year old hard discs, I was
>> thinking I could netboot the MicroVax and operate it completely
>> diskless.  I *believe* this is easy with NetBSD,

Relatively.

>> but I really want to try VMS.

I've never even tried to run VMS diskless, so I can't speak to that.

> Netbooting NetBSD on a MV II should be OK, but ssslllooowww.

It is.  I have a netboot setup set up for my uV2 (between disks and
disk interfaces, I don't have enough disk for the thing to do anything
useful with).  It's 1.4T - I haven't played with it since I tried
running anything newer - and is really really slow even by my
standards.  There is also a problem in that it fails something like two
or three times, if old memory serves, during the ten days or so it
takes to do a build-of-the-world.  (I no longer recall the details of
the failures.)

> The DEQNA may be unsupported by NetBSD...

No, at least not unless there's been a recent regression.  My 1.4T
netboot setup uses a DEQNA.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org