[rescue] question about crashdump device in mirrored swap configuration

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Jul 9 23:08:54 CDT 2009

In a mirrored swap configuration (under Solaris 8), should the dump
device in
/etc/dumpadm.conf be changed to the metadevice for the swap space.... it is
currently set to /dev/dsk/c0d0s1.  Problem is the machine is rebooting
randomly....
if it is panicing it is not leaving a crash dump in the
/var/crash/<hostname>
directory.

Server is remote, and I believe it is a hardware issue (it is a 'cheap'
x86 box
(yes, it is Solaris 8 for x86 (a client's box)).  It ran stable for
ages... so I'm guessing
more than likely hardware (fans, ps, memory, etc), but I was unable to
find an
answer about if dumpadm.conf should be updated.

If not... then what does the metadevice do when the system boots and the
swap
space mirror components are no longer in sync (due to a crashdump being
written
to one 'half' of the mirror) ?

Thanks,

-- Curt