[rescue] Free old PC

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Feb 15 16:47:56 CST 2009

At 04:19 PM 2/15/2009, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>On Feb 15, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
>
>>SFF Dell GX100, Celeron, floppy, slim CDR, sound card.  No hard
>>drive or memory.
>>
>>Was given to me by another list member, but when I got around to
>>trying it out I can't get it to boot.  Ran through a dozen PC100
>>memory modules, most of which gave a memory error beep code.
>>Inserting a RIMM allowed the video to come up, but it gave some
>>weird error message and reboots every 2-3 seconds.
>>
>>If anyone has any use for it, let me know quick.  I'm in Arkansas.
>
>RIMM in a Celeron? How odd.

Yeah, it obviously didn't like it.  I was suprised that it did
anything at all, considering it beeped a memory error at 11 of the 12
sticks of PC100, and the 12th stick still wouldn't give me a BIOS
screen.  But by that time, I was just mad enough to stick that RIMM
in there, hoping to let the magic smoke out of something.

>The GX100 should take PC100 SDRAM, sounds hosed to me (I assume you
>cleaned out the insides with air...

No need, it's as clean as they day you shipped it to me.

>If you get no takers, I'd be intersted in the slim CDR (I've got a
>couple small boxes with failing CD drives)...

No problem.  Maybe give the list another day or so, although I really
doubt anyone will want anything to do with this cursed beast.

--
newell  N5TNL