[rescue] Wanted: quiet desktop PC for Ubuntu

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:15:55 CST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:

> This is an upgrade for a Dell Dimension 2400, which has worked
> nicely in its role but is too resource-starved for what I need it to
> do.

So a slightly upgraded Dell Dimension should be fine, like a 4700 or
so... They are quiet, as I recall.

If I were to build a box, I'd use a $50 MB, get myself an Intel E3300
$60 CPU, 4 Gigs of RAM for another $50-75, and an Antec 200 chassis &
a PS (approaching $100, chassis is about $50 on sale), and then
scavenge the CD/DVD from the 2400.

BUT, it would be cheaper to buy a Dell desktop, they are pretty quiet.
Consider the Zino HD at $229 - with DVD, 2 Gig, and upgraded discrete
graphics for $75 more but only one HD (SATA)...

I have an older Dimension, but no time to make it available.

Lionel