[rescue] Small Cheap Linux Board??

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Dec 21 10:13:23 CST 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009, Nadine Miller wrote:
> Everything I've read in the Solaris/OpenSolaris forums is the only
>  solid "consumer grade" NIC is the Intel desktop card, and it's a
>  pricey devil compared to everything else.  I bought one since I
>  noticed the daily drops, just haven't taken the downtime to install
>  it.

Pricy? I think they cost me $30 a few years ago.  Looking at eBay, $13
plus free shipping.  Though that was PCI, perhaps you are looking at
PCI-E?

Broadcom NICs (BNX2) seem to be pretty good as well.  It looks like
they're about 1/2 the price of Intel PCI-E Gb desktop cards.  Don't know
about Solaris/OSX support, but they have always been pretty solid under
Linux. See: http://search.ebay.com/360213611553

Pat