[rescue] Question, which machine to keep, which two to go?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:05:32 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> buy yourself an Ultra 60
> from someone on the list or ebay.  A dual 450 in a U60 will blow the
> other three away, and they should be very cheap if you are in the US.

The Ultra 60 is "limited" to 2 Gig of RAM, the Ultra 5/10 are limited
to 1 Gig, and I'm not sure about the Sunblade 100.

The CPUs you can stuff in a U60 makes it a great machine, and the PCI
expansion and UPA graphics add to the package. The system also has two
UltraSCSI channels, IIRC...

> Then, add a cheap USB 2.0 card to the machine.  You do lose out on the
> desktop form factor, but I don't consider that to be much of a loss ever
> since they moved away from the ss20 and Ultra1 style chassises.

There is the option of the Ultra 2 as well - it has SBUS/(horizontal)
UPA expansion, but is otherwise a desktop version of the U60 (dual
CPUs, 2 Gig RAM, etc.)... The U60 will accomodate 2x 1.6" SCSI drives,
the U2 willonly take 2x 1" SCSI drives - that may make a difference
based on what you want to stuff in the chassis.

A U60/U2 should be a very cheap upgrade from any of the system you
listed, and would really provide much better performance...

Would your current SBUS video capture cards work in an Ultra 2? ;^)

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com