[rescue] Small Cheap Linux Board??

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Dec 9 11:14:13 CST 2009

> The 2C3 is overkill for my network (and for most people's).
> I have a 6/768 DSL connection (through ATT UVerse) and the Alix board has
> not been a bottleneck.

Interesting.  I went for overkill on my home network when I replaced my
Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware with pfSense running on an Intel
Atom ITX board with a quad 1000Base-T card with each port running to a
different switch for a different network subnet.  I figure this gives me
something to play with that is on-par with the performance and capability
of Cisco hardware at work, but without the same degree of negative
consequences should I mess something up at home, and using far less power
(AC-DC power brick is the 80W variety, and I'm sure the system pulls a lot
less than that running of a 2.5" notebook hard drive, an Atom CPU, and the
quad gigabit card).  Didn't cost much either.

- Nate