[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:06:52 CST 2009

On Nov 26, 2009, at 3:44 AM, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2009, at 19:54, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> [...]
>> The other thing that I have been wondering following all of this, is are
>> the programs he plans to run multithreaded? Video compression is not
>> AFAIK something that can be done in parallel, so if you figure one cpu for
>> video and one cpu for audio and the operating system, what do you do with
>> the rest of them?
>

> I can't speak for FOSS video stuff, but when I'm encoding H.264 with
Quicktime on OSX, it most definitely does use all of the CPUs it can get. On
Linux, I note that pbzip2 will use all cores to compress files, and git can be
told to do some CPU-bound things in parallel.

> There's something satisfying about seeing 390-odd% CPU usage in top.

I use Handbrake on OS X for both H.264 and XviD, and it takes advantage of all
4 cores (Intel C2Q 9550 in my hackintosh), once the DVD is copied to disk.

And yes, I like that kind of info out of top.  Especially when the fans don't
even get cranked up doing it. :-)