[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Dec 3 01:47:52 CST 2009

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:02:17 -0500
Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> Or, we can all point and laugh when his electrical service panel catches
> fire from the overload and burns the entire building down....
Don't make jokes about real world problems of machine collectors! ;-)

Once I was in the Cray-Cyber basement. I was allowed to power on the
big CDC-Cyber machine. It runs on 400 Hz three phase power. So it has
a big motor-generator with flywheel. While spinning up this beast sucks
120 A three phase at 400 V. (Thats 83 kW.) Problem: The power feed to
the basement is rated at 80 A only and there is a big 80 A "NH" fuse in
the panel. The operator said: Fortunately those 80 A "NH" fuses are
_very_ slow...

In minimal configuration the machine needs "only" about 20 kW after the
initial inrush. The flywheel keeps the motor-generator spinning for
about one hour after power is removed.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen