[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Dec 2 16:39:09 CST 2009

>> The recent Big Buck Bunny short film was rendered on Solaris (but
>> probably on AMD64 instead of SPARC) because Sun donated use of a large
>> Solaris cluster for the project.
>
> *Very* likely x64 and not SPARC. Cycle for cycle (and dollar for
> dollar, if referring to MSRP), they just aren't fast enough for this
> type of work.

Speaking of fast SPARC hardware, how about Fujitsu's SPARC64 VIIIfx CPU (8
cores, 128 gigaflops)?

Japan's RIKEN is going to use it:

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/pr/archives/month/2009/20090717-01.html

I'd love to see that CPU in a desktop workstation, but I feel the chances
are slim to none these days...

But maybe someday, maybe a decade from now, maybe more... someone on the
Rescue list will rescue the RIKEN, set it up in their basement, and we can
all be jealous... ;)

- Nate