[rescue] using type 4 keyboards on usb?

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Aug 28 01:58:12 CDT 2009

>> [...Sun keyboards and serial lines...]
> Wouldnt something like what FTDI makes (their 6pin TTL->RS232->USB
> dongle) work in this case?

Quite possibly.  It might work directly; it might need an inverter.
(Oh, and, it might need a 5V power supply for the keyboard if the
dongle doesn't provide one, but that much is true of the other options
too.)  Or it might not work - I don't know FTDI's stuff.

> I'd try it, but I've got a 3v FTDI dongle and the Type 5 keyboard I
> have looks to be 5v if the specs are to be believed.

Yes, those keyboards are 5V.  If you're competent to build such things,
it's only a couple of transistors to level-shift between 5V and 3.3V.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org