[rescue] 5.25" floppy on modern PC

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Aug 15 17:33:27 CDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 06:08:29PM -0500, Chad Fernandez wrote:

> There were 720K 5.25" drives?

I had a 3b2 with a 720k floppy and 5 1'4" full height MFM hard drives,
but I can't remember what the floppy drives looked like. The CP/M system
I had with 720k drives had half height ones. Looking at pictures I just
searched for the 3b2 300/310/400 had half height floppy drives, but they
were definately 80 track 720k.

In either case, they (the CP/M system and the 3b2) had 720k 80 track 5 1/4"
drives. The drives and blanks were sold as DSQD (double sided quad density),
but regular DSDD (360k PC) blanks worked fine in them.

Before I gave away my last 3b2 (around 1996) try to put in a 3.5 80
track drive as I had plenty of them to spare, but never got it to work.

Geoff.