[rescue] OBP Question

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 4 11:57:34 CDT 2009

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> it doesn't have anything on my sparcengine ultra 20.  i would love to
> update its obp, stuck at 3.7.

That sounds a lot like what Cycle sold as a "Cycle UP-20" and someone else
sold as an "Ultra-520":

    http://jonathan.celestrion.net/stuff/ultra-520/

Apologies for the crap photos; I'd only had my first camera for about a
week when I took those.  In photo #2, you can see the Sun 370 part number.
Do the first seven digits match the part number on your board?

My understanding is that Sun only released firmware updates to integrators
who might make modifications[0] before passing them on to customers.

[0] Tatung did this on most of their SPARC systems.  They were direct
     clones of the Sun parts, but would not accept a Sun update package.
     Tatung expected the customer to -buy- firmware updates.
--
Jonathan Patschke < "There is great satisfaction in building good tools
Elgin, TX          > for other people to use."