[rescue] SunBlade 2000 vs SunBlade 2500 vs Ultra 45

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 3 13:36:45 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 02:03:09PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>I wouldn't say that at all.  I'd say that Itanium borrowed design
>features from both Alpha and HPPA, but is very far from being an Alpha
>successor or descendant.

As Paul Simon sung, "still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards
the rest". In this case, Intel took what it wanted. :-)

IMHO Dec suffered from "we're not IBM, so will do the exact opposite of
what works for them", and Intel suffered from the "we are definitely not IBM,
but we're not DEC either, so we'd rather "borrow" from DEC than IBM".

Geoff.