[rescue] SunBlade 2000 vs SunBlade 2500 vs Ultra 45

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Mon Aug 3 09:04:49 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Weiss Andrew<rumbeard at mac.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2009, at 6:18 AM, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> The real question is, "would you consider building new stuff on xyx?"
>>
>> Would I build a new system on POWER/AIX?  Probably not.
>
> Why the heck not?  POWER/AIX has a lot more life than SPARC/Solaris...
POWER
> 7 is coming.  POWER 6/6+ kicks all sorts of butt.

This is mostly due to my dislike of AIX, and some bad experiences
while a customer of IBM; the POWER chips aren't really the problem.
And as I said, there's more to buying systems than raw performance
(if it were, then why's Alpha dead and gone now?)

Anyway, this probably isn't rescue-related.  I'm sorry if I've triggered
a flame-war.  I simply wanted to say that I'm pretty sure that SPARC's
got legs yet.

- Andrew